Having a great time. I love Iowa. I love the rolling hills. I love the green. I love the tall trees and the fields of corn in neat rows. I love the fireflies.
I don't like the construction on I-80. All across Wyoming, all across Nebraska and all across the half of Iowa we have driven the interstate has been slowed by one lane sections. It is not the primary reason we haven't done everything we wanted but it has contributed.
So today was supposed to start with an early breakfast and leave by 9. When we were still talking with our hosts at 1030 it was an indication of the way the rest of the day would go. But they are in Iowa where politics are big and of course they had to ask about Mitt Romney. It was really interesting for me and I allowed it keep going long after we should have left and I could have kept on talking. But we did have other places to go today.
First stop the view from Lewis and Clark bluff park. This was the first place they met with the Indians, ie Council Bluff. Then on to the Kanesville Tabernacle. This was built by non-members hoping to stimulate some tourism. The church bought it and produces a small pageant. It is significant for the fact that it was here that Brigham Young was sustained as president setting the precedent for the way the mantle of authority should be continued. You know you read about these places but seeing them even for a short time teaches you so much.
Next was Redemption Hill where the first pioneers were camped and where the request for the Mormon Battalion was first made. Then the on the grounds of the school for the deaf was where the mustering took place. Each of these places so significant, and places I'd wanted to see since high school.
And then last was the Western Trails Museum. That one we could have left out, unfortunately. It took a lot of time and we didnt get much out of it. We were told to take a walk along the levee and so we went up hoping to see the river, but it wasn't visible, so we went walking hoping to see it, but never did.

No comments:
Post a Comment