Friday, June 29, 2012

Nebraska

It is morning in Iowa on the banks of the Missouri. I can't post pictures so will add them later. We are at a nice little Bed and Breakfast owned by John and Carol. They only have two rooms but they have a fabulous view of the river valley. It is very hot and muggy.

Yesterday we drove past Scouts Rest--Buffalo Bills home in North Platte--nothin too much to see. Then in Gothenburg we stopped at an original pony express station. That was interesting, I don't usually think of it out this way.

I had only got about four hours of sleep so had to keep stopping for naps. We stopped at the rest stop where the wagon trains had left paths in the deep sand hills of O'Fallons bluffs. We had also gone over to Sutherland on the north side of the Platte rivers and seen the tracks left by the mormon wagon trains over the same sand hills.

I happened to notice the gas light on just after we passed an exit. And was very glad that there was another one not too much further.



We stopped in Linclon to see the Nebraska state Capitol. It was very nice. A big tall spire and lots of mosaics and gilt. I was impressed. Just past that we drove past a chapel like the one in Arkansas I want to see. We took the next exit and found our way there. Simple and elegant.

Then on to the Mormon trail center in Florence where Winter Quarters was. I was not as impressed. But it was good to finally see it. The temple there was nice. And I found out that no Hadlocks were in the cemetery there. Samuel had died at Winters Quarters. I was sad to know I wouldn't know where he was buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment